Monday, January 21, 2013

Utensil Drawer

I'm not sure if your utensil drawers look or resemble mine at all but here is the dirty details about ours.  One of the things I dislike about our kitchen currently is that we do not have any extra wide drawers.  Everything is just standards size other than 2 that are deeper than normal.  My parents had a wide drawer for utensils and that is what is engraved in my mind that should be where they go and the type of drawer they go in.  So in the new kitchen you will probably see that, but for now I'm left with this:
**not sure why blogger has rotated my photos***
Yes, this is our utensil drawer in all it's glory.  Things have randomly made their way into the drawer and have been buried or forgotten.  Items from college days are in there as well, and a lot of duplicates.

So I emptied the drawer and sorted by type, putting our lovely duplicates together.  Really how many ice cream scoopers, spatulas, and spoons can you need?  Sadly the answer is 4 or more.

After some "discussions" with Tim on what he could handle parting with as I was ready to unload a little more than he was from the drawer things looked like this:
So a lot of items went into the garage sale box that were decent and hopefully have a use in someones kitchen.  We did still keep a few things in duplicate as you see with the cheese slicer and ice cream scoops.  I had one organizing drawer in there to start with (it was buried under everything) and we put wooden spoons and spatulas that made the cut in there along with basting brushes and egg/yoke divider thing.  So items we use, but not everyday.  I wasn't happy with the loose utensils though so had to get another drawer in there.
So one more organizing drawer and less items sliding around.  The random cheese knives, garlic press, and other "necessities" are in there.  Still awkwardness with the pie cutter/server but here is where it lies for now.  I also did tackle some drawers in the baker's rack that has our mailing supplies but didn't take photos of the hundreds of address labels that were tossed, but the drawer rocks now!

We are progressing, one drawer at a time, but there is slightly a new feeling of organization in the kitchen as the clutter exits.

1 comment:

  1. Ann, you have been busy! You are going to be so much more ready to move than I was. My brother took my junk drawer and my utensil drawer and just dumped it into one large box!

    ReplyDelete