Wednesday, March 20, 2013

A weekend with only 1 kiddo...

So I actually got to have a weekend with just the baby and the house to myself so I was lucky enough to get a couple of projects done that had been on my list to do.  Since the baby still takes a couple naps a day I had a good chunk of time to work uninterrupted - which is almost unheard of these days.  It's amazing what you can get done when you only have to watch the child that makes the least amount of mess.   Most of the projects I had the supplies, just not the time.  You might remember this.....
This is my husbands pile of "important stuff".  Our lack of kitchen counter space drives me a little nuts when I am trying to make something so he gave me permission to organize it.
I'm a little addicted to these 12x12 boxes from Hobby Lobby as they are big enough for magazines and folders, cameras, and lots of mail!  I did get in trouble for recycling magazines that my husband will never read and have now been told to put his mail outside the box because he will never open it to read it.  The pile does not look as clean, but it's still an improvement.

Another project I was working on was a storage system for the kids school items.  Pictures, awards, etc.  I found an idea from my favorite organizing lady Jenn at iheartorganizing.blogspot.com.  She has 3 boys and similar challenges that the Schmidt house has, but with less pink and purple.  Jenn offered some free printables and I scoured the internet for the boxes and found them here
Here are my supplies:  File boxes, hanging folders, and file folders.
Printables for the file folders
All the labels applied to the folders X 3
The other printable was a photo for each school year that tells the school year, school, and teachers.  This is Abby's 1st preschool year, looks so young!  So there is one of these in each folder for each kid.
Then everything was nicely filed away.  I have all the folders spread out out for the photo but they collapse to about and inch or two so plenty of room to expand with all the paperwork that will come in the years I would like to save for the kids to someday have.
And they are neatly stored in my "craft room" closet.  I still need to put some names on them.  I bought some of those Martha Stewart chalkboard labels but I don't think I am going to use them.  Might get something else for the names........

I still need to download some other pictures from the spring break o fun with our projects.

1 comment:

  1. Go Ann...I just have cheap plastic storage boxes w avas stuff so I might have to "steal" your idea.

    ReplyDelete